Thursday, December 11, 2008

being comfortable

Well, I have "reached the end of myself" so to speak. Now that I have hit this point I am starting to take a look at the man I have become. As I try to get to the root of some of my whinning and complaining I am realizing that most of it stems from the fact that I like to be comfortable. It almost sounds funny to say that because don't we all like to be comfortable? I believe there is nothing wrong with comfort but when you are trying to grow being comfortable is not the way.

I remember back a few years ago when I made the commitment to be up at 5 AM so I could head to work early and go to the gym by my old office in Amherst. I used to be at the gym around 5:45 AM, do a full workout, take a shower and head to work. I can honestly say I was never comfortable doing this but the results were clear. I was in the best shape of my life, I had more energy, the hard work ethic carried itself to my job and I became successful at what I was doing.

So I compare that example to what I am doing now and I realize that I prefer being comfortable. Get a few extra minutes of sleep instead of getting up early to work out or spend time with God. Not doing the "uncomfortable" things at my job that I need to do to make this office successful. Spending more time complaining and whinning over things instead of taking the time to come before God and seeking him, growing in him and through this situation.

The image came to mind this morning of someone sitting on a nice soft comfortable couch, feet up on pillows watching a movie, and eating potato chips. This same person does this all day and all night. Meanwhile they wonder why they are gaining weight and never have any energy. Sure they are comfortable but they are not growing in the right ways. I want to grow..spiritually, phyically and careerwise. I will not grow if I prefer to be comfortable all day instead of doing the things that are not comfortable.

This stage in my life has brought me face to face with a part of me that I did not realize. My prayer is that God will help me be "comfortable" being uncomfortable. That I would choose the right thing to do whether it is something I want to do or not. (i.e. getting up 30 minutes early to spend time in the word. Or making the tough prospecting calls at my job that are not easy but produce the most fruit.).

Lord, let the comfortable, soft, lazy, whinny part of me die today. Not that I don't want moments of relaxing but I want to grow. I want you to change me into the man that you want me to be...as your son, as a husband, as a father, as a businessman, as a leader in the church and wherever you lead...Lord make me yours...I want to love you with all of my heart! Amen!!!!!

No comments: