Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Boldly I approach your throne

I have been reading Exodus the last few days in the chronological Bible. A lot of thoughts jumped out at me this morning like how quickly the Israelites forgot what God had done for them. Paster Jeff pointed that out last weekend at the Men's breakfast. Three days after God showed his power by parting the sea and then destroying their enemies they started to complain and wanted to go back. As I shake my head in disbelief I do wonder if I would have lasted 3 days. Often times God does something wonderful in my life and then a few hours later I am complaining again.

I also have to point out that I was surprised that Moses was 80 years old when God appeared to him in the burning bush. That means for probably around 60 years or so all Moses did was tend his father in law's sheep in the desert. Talk about a guy who had every opportunity to be successful in the world's eye. But instead he spends the majority of his life alone tending someone else's sheep. I think God had Moses at the point where he had no pride or thinking he was something important. Funny how patient God is with us. I think most of us would have written an 80 year old shepherd off and had not picked him to lead millions of people out of Egypt. But God has a way of doing things that do not make sense to us. Can I remember that in my life??

But what I really to point out this morning was in Ex 19:9-25. God explains to Moses that he is going to descend down for the people to hear him and approach him. God requires all of them to consecrate themselves and prepare to meet God. Then in verse 24 God says "...In the meantime, do not let the priests or the people break through to approach the Lord, or he will break out and destroy them.".

The word approach really jumped out at me because in the new testament God tells us to "boldly approach the throne of Grace..". Made me think of how easily I can approach God now. But do I lose the sense of wonder and awe each time I come to him? I want to realize today that at any moment I can be in the throne room of God! If I really took the time to "look around" and realize where I am would I be struck with how awesome he is? Or do I just treat him like someone I give a few minutes to while I get on to more "important" things? Let me be struck by awe and wonder today as I approach a God gracious enough to not only let me be in his presence but I can call him friend...and Daddy!!

No comments: