Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What am I willing to give up?

A great friend of mine responded to my last post with this...
"The real answers demand actions. Those actions may have very high costs...to go where you want to go and where God wants you to go will cost you. Are you prepared?"

I have been thinking about this response a lot and the answer is....I am not sure. Isn't that pathetic? I feel like the guy talking real big about something he is going to do and when the time comes he chickens out. Maybe I am thinking too much about specific things...maybe I am thinking what if God wants me to give up my house? What if he wants me to leave my job?, etc. I think the issue for me right now is not specific things but the general attitude of my heart.

I was thinking earlier as I was walking my dog. What about Peter and the other disciples that just left their nets...dropped them on the ground and followed Jesus. They were so drawn to this man called Jesus that they made a huge life decision that surely caused them some ridicule. What would I have done? What would I do now? What if Jesus walked into my office tomorrow and in the mist of the busy day came up to me and said "follow me and I will make you fishers of men"? Would I drop my headset, walk away from my computer and dual monitors and follow him?

No comments: